Data Breaches and Cyber Attacks News Round-Up (2019)
Written by John Catibog – Last Updated June 28, 2019
- ABS survey reveal 1 in 10 Aussie businesses suffered data breach last year
- Cyber attacks excluded from The Terrorism Reinsurance Scheme
- Cyber attack on Australian Catholic University IT systems
- Landmark White continues to suffer the fallout from second data breach
Viewpoint: All the devastating impact of reputation damage from a data breach is demonstrated with Landmark White as they continue to make headlines and lose customers after their second data breach.
Viewpoint: A classic example of insider threat sabotaging a business.
Viewpoint: Change your passwords for your Canva account and other online accounts where you likely used the same login details
Viewpoint: Sometimes the cyber threat could be inside your company already.
- Australians’ Medicare details illegally sold on darknet – two years after breach exposed
- WhatsApp urges users to upgrade app after discovering spyware vulnerability
- Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme 12‑month Insights Report
- Notifiable Data Breaches Quarterly Statistics Report – 1 January to 31 March 2019
Viewpoint: In the year since mandatory data breach reporting was introduced, malicious attacks and human error are the main cause for reported breaches.
Viewpoint: It’s important to know how long your business interruption loss of income covers your business. Damages of a data breach can continue long after the breach has been contained. The Landmark White breach was known to management as early as mid- 2017 and look at the impact today.
Viewpoint: Data loss and theft will continue to be a prevalent threat throughout 2019 and beyond, yet 66 per cent of Australian organisations do not have the capability to respond and recover from cyber security incidents.
*** Indagard was featured by News Corp Australia as a cyber security expert for our tips on staying safe online ***
Viewpoint: a detailed, first hand account from a small business owner how disruptive and stressful it will be to have your website hacked.
- Puma Australia shoppers hit with credit card hack
- PM pledges AU$156m to build cyber workforce and fight cybercrime if re-elected
Viewpoint: More political influence such as this will change the public awareness on the cyber security threats.
- [REPORT] Targeting scams: report of the ACCC on scam activity 2018 [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Fraud urgent payroll request
- How new ATO-introduced security measures will impact accountants
Viewpoint: Lots of tips for accounting firms that will help improve their cyber security and prevent data breaches.
- Most senior tech execs dealt with a security breach in last year Threat hunting – a top defence strategy – initiated by 65 per cent of Australian companies
- [2019 Telstra Security Report] Cyber security remains a top business priority as the estimated number of undetected security breaches grows
- Ransomware attacks still common in Australia, and half pay up
- Russia’s covert ‘war on Australia’ has already begun
- [PDF] Cybersecurity, cybercrime and cybersafety: a quick guide to key internet links
- Australian Budget 2019: Whole-of-government cyber uplift to create ‘cyber sprint teams’
- [Australian Cyber Security Magazine] Schools are the soft underbelly of Cyber and needs more focus
Viewpoint: Empowering people at a young age with the skills and knowledge to use technology purposely and safely can impact societal stability.
- AusPost’s Bill Scanner caught up in Gmail privacy sweep
- Fake Paypal emails request ‘account details’
- Fake CIA emails requesting Bitcoin or arrest
- Norwegian aluminum maker Norsk Hydro may have lost more than $40 million in the week that followed a cyber attack
- Australians paid scammers $3.1m in iTunes cards in 2018
- ASUS users targeted in large supply chain attack
- Kathmandu customer data breach
- Facebook, Google Face Steeper Privacy Fines Under Australia Plan
- Facebook initially considered breach not eligible for notification in Australia
- Hackers breach internal Citrix network and “may have” accessed and downloaded business documents
- [Attorney-General of Australia] Tougher penalties to keep Australians safe online
- Australian security services investigate attempted cyber attack on parliament
- Bunnings customer and staff data exposed
- Crime syndicate hacks 15,000 medical files at Cabrini Hospital, demands ransom
- WARNING – New Phishing Attack That Even Most Vigilant Users Could Fall For
- LandMark White Data Breach- Home loan details of 100,000 customers hacked in major data breach
Watch this video to understand how one data breach can ruin your reputation as seen with the LandMark White data breach.
- NAB takes aim at supply chain attacks
- Chinese national pleads guilty to AMP data breach
- Hacker Breaches Dozens of Sites, Puts 127 Million New Records Up for Sale
- Figures show Australian data breaches on the rise
- Hacker destroys all data held by US email provider
- New fake email scam targets Optus customers with malicious files
- Aussie IT firm encryption laws bite
- Rhodes & Beckett alleges website ‘held to ransom’
- UPDATE: Health NSW addresses hospital site safety concerns
- WordPress Multilingual Plugin Site hacked by Ex-Employee
- Collection #1 Mega Data Breach exposes 773 Million Records!
If you wish to know if your email address has been compromised, you can check out Troy hunt’s website “HaveIBeenPwned” which runs a service to check if your email address has been compromised.
- MOQ’s Skoolbag platform accessed in data breach
- 5 Popular Web Hosting Services Found Vulnerable to Multiple Flaws
- Ethereum Classic (ETC) Hit by Double-Spend Attack Worth $1.1 Million
- First National Real Estate Data breach exposes personal info of jobseekers
- Singapore Airlines data breach exposes 284 accounts
- Microsoft patches any security issues in their monthly Patch Tuesday updates
- Google removes 85 adware-infected apps masquerading as games and TV remote controllers
- Hacker Uses Australian Early Warning Network to Send Spam Alerts
- The Marriott hack exposed the passport numbers of more than 5 million people
- Data breaches rise in My Health Record system
Australian Security Breaches in 2018
- Lessons from the PageUp data breach
- Australian Super Data Breach
- [AISA] Managed Service Providers Global Hack
- Nova warns listeners of data breach affecting 250,000 Australians
- Hackers targeting businesses’ emails in sophisticated scam
- Big W staffer gave out confidential data with printer repair
- The work details of 30,000 Victorian public servants have been stolen in a data breach, after part of the Victorian Government directory was downloaded by an unknown party.
- Melbourne Archdiocese hit by cyber attack
- Timehop data breach: more than 200,000 Australians likely affected
- The government’s chief cyber security coordinator, Alastair McGibbon: cyber catastrophe is society’s ‘greatest existential threat’ right now
- HealthEngine reveals data breach
- Netflix warns users about malicious emails
- PEXA beefs up security controls after home sale fraud
- Details of 6000 supermarket customers at risk after Ritchies Supa IGA hack
- RCR Tomlinson sat on staff data breach for three months
- Cyber attack on Family Planning NSW client database
- Svitzer First publicised data breach under OAIC data breach response scheme